[rescue] Memory upgrade in Dell PowerEdge 2560

Chad Fernandez chad.fernandez at att.net
Wed May 27 19:06:25 CDT 2015

On 05/27/2015 06:41 PM, Nathan Raymond wrote:
> With the working stick you should use something like CPU-Z to read the
> actual SPD table from a stick of the problem RAM to see what JDEC
> timings the stick is presenting to the motherboard. Some memory does
> not include a complete set of JDEC timings for slower speeds, and some
> motherboards are very picky if the RAM installed in them doesn't
> having the timings for the speed the motherboard expects. In Linux you
> can use decode-dimms with some extra setup it looks like:
> http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/92037/how-to-view-rams-spd-timings-table
> - Nate

dmidecode reports 266mhz, which is proper for pc2100, but it lists that
for all the sockets, populated or not.

I've tried to install/run ic2-tools decode-dimms on both computers and I
run into problems on both..... problems that I can't even explain.  I'm
not good in the terminal.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA