[rescue] Memory upgrade in Dell PowerEdge 2560

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:41:07 CDT 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 5:50 PM, Chad Fernandez <chad.fernandez at att.net>
wrote:

> On 05/27/2015 08:16 AM, Raymond Wiker wrote:
>
>> I've actually had problems with memory that was too fast for the
>> computer... does the memory match the stated requirements?
>>

> The computer was rated for PC2100, and I have PC2700, which is "faster".
> However from what I read it shouldn't make a difference. The PC2700 is
> newer and is simply rated to handle the faster speed, it's not faster in of
> itself.  It's supposed to be backwards compatible.  I bought the PC2700
> because it was a big name brand (Micron) at a good price, in a quantity
> sufficient to max out the server.

With the working stick you should use something like CPU-Z to read the
actual SPD table from a stick of the problem RAM to see what JDEC timings
the stick is presenting to the motherboard.  Some memory does not include a
complete set of JDEC timings for slower speeds, and some motherboards are
very picky if the RAM installed in them doesn't having the timings for the
speed the motherboard expects.  In Linux you can use decode-dimms with some
extra setup it looks like:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/92037/how-to-view-rams-spd-timings-table

- Nate