[rescue] More basement cleaning

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 08:47:22 CST 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 7:42 AM, John Carr <jcarr at poethecat.com> wrote:

> On 01/23/2015 05:09 AM, Malte Dehling wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jan 22, 2015 at 9:13 PM, John Carr <jcarr at poethecat.com> wrote:
>> Do you have the SunPC software for this?  I see these cards show up from
>> time to time, but have never been able to find the software.  AFAIK no
>> open-source solutions exist.
>>

> Unfortunately, I don't, and I don't remember any more how the software was
> delivered. Was it on a Solstice CD or did it come with the card, itself? I
> don't think I've used one of these since about '97 or '98 (and did find out
> that it could run Win95, but it wasn't pretty or fast). I don't remember
> how I got it working with Solaris anymore.

The software used to be freely downloadable from Sun.  I dunno where it
went (probably the bit bucket), when Oracle bought them out.  I do see that
the documentation is still available from Oracle (links on the SunPCi
Wikipedia page), so that might help.  Rumor has it that the software now
requires an active service contract to download.

I had, and used, a number of versions of the SunPCi card (SunPCi, SunPCi
II, SunPCI IIpro), for years, to do my Windows-required work, from my
CycleQuad and Ultra 60/80 workstations.  It was a pretty decent solution
for folks, like me, who only needed Windows for Outlook.

- Alex