[rescue] ZFS Merkle trees/git graph integrity - Re: Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

PAK pakenned-list at pobox.com
Wed Jun 25 14:17:56 CDT 2014

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:39:09AM -0400, PAK wrote:
> [...]
> > There have always been constraints that have limited my (personal)
> > opportunity to deploy a system supporting ZFS. Right now it's space and
> > decibel limits.
>
> You're thinking of the good old Thumper here, aren't you?

:)

> Unless you actually need a 48 disk zpool, you can use a rather smaller
> and less thirsty machine. I'm using what is essentially a cheap gaming
> PC, except I skipped the graphics card and put in a SAS HBA and filled
> it with disks. It's quiet enough for me to sleep in the room with it
> running.

I'm in a _tiny_ apartment so there's just not the space for
_another_machine_.  My storage server does double duty as my workstation
and has been made quiet enough through larger, slower fans (and a quiet
case).  The machine is about three feet from my head where I sleep (and
my partner needs hardware to be nearly silent).

Eventually, we'll get more space, and then I'll probably play around
with ZFS :)

Cheers,
Paul