[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Wed Jun 25 11:18:05 CDT 2014

In article <20140625065109.GB24572 at mooli.org.uk>,
    Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 04:39:45PM -0600, Richard wrote:
> [...]
> > Really, if you care about portability for C/C++, you should be running your
> > code through MSVC as well. clang is designed to be gcc compatible, so it
> > doesn't detect non-portable-but-gcc-ish code the way MSVC will.
>
> And who is going to stump up the thousands of pounds to buy the hardware and
> software licences to do that then?

Thousands of pounds?  I assume you're referring to currency :-).

You're insane.

There's no way it takes anywhere near that amount of money to ensure
your code builds properly on MSVC, even for a closed source project.
PCs are ridiculously cheap commodities (who cares how long it takes to
build if you're only interested in checking for buildability) and MSVC
is *free* and has been *free* for over a decade.  Unless prices are
insanely different in the UK a Windows license costs a couple hundred
dollars.