[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Jun 25 11:38:43 CDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 10:18:05AM -0600, Richard wrote:
[...]
> Thousands of pounds?  I assume you're referring to currency :-).

It's a piece of paper with the Queen's head on it which seems to buy an
increasing number of dollars (and euros) as each day goes by :)

> You're insane.
> There's no way it takes anywhere near that amount of money to ensure your
> code builds properly on MSVC, even for a closed source project. PCs are
> ridiculously cheap commodities (who cares how long it takes to build if
> you're only interested in checking for buildability)

Suppose it doesn't build, which is likely given that the point of the exercise
is to discover just where the problems might be. Now I have to attempt to debug
it on that clunker. That's just a massive time sink that is neither enjoyable
nor lucrative.

> and MSVC is *free* and has been *free* for over a decade.

The first hit is always free.

> Unless prices are insanely different in the UK a Windows license costs a
> couple hundred dollars.

A Windows licence is about a hundred quid (depending on version), or peanuts if
you buy an OEM copy plus a cheap mouse to satisfy the licence conditions. But
what price the wear and tear on my soul as I battle Windows? That's a cost that
can't be quantified...

It's very simple: if somebody wants me to write software on Windows or any of
the other deliberately contrary tenth-rate platforms out there, I'll send them
my price list. Until then, I'm not touching it with a barge pole.