[rescue] Has freshmeat.net disappeared forever? WAS:::Re: What to do with the SS20

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Sun Jun 22 14:31:08 CDT 2014

On 22 June 2014 20:08, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:

> Openwin/OpenLook/olvwm packages
>
> I was just about to forward you a link.  There is/was a guy on
> freshmeat.net that had all that stuff fully patched and packaged up for
> use on Solaris 9 & 10. both Sparc and x86.
>
> I just attempted to go there, and it appears that freshmeat.net, and its
> b*stardized new name, freecode.com, dropped off the net on 18 June 2014.
>  :(

I think the olvwm homepage has also gone, which is also a pain, though the
distfile is easy enough to find and there are a number of packaging systems
which are maintaining patches - eg
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/wm/olvwm/patches/ which I
think includes at least modern Solar^WIllumin^WSmartOS support

If you can get a recent gcc onto a Solaris 8/9 box then it should not be
overwhelmingly painful to get current software compiled...