[rescue] Trying to rescue a Sun Ultra 45

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Jan 15 01:49:42 CST 2014

Hi Andrew

Interesting story, not heard of it before, have seen a few mobos with blown
caps (tants?) which did not impact the running of the system. Not from the
same era, but back in the early 90s, I helped out a company who
installed/supported electronic safe locks and they had a large amount of their
controller boards with decoupling caps (20-30 per board) which after time went
'leaky', given they were battery powered, a set of batteries would be used on
standby in less than a week, normally they should last >1 year. Many happy
hour replacing caps....

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services