[rescue] Trying to rescue a Sun Ultra 45

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Wed Jan 15 02:23:40 CST 2014

> Interesting story, not heard of it before, have seen a few mobos with
> blown caps (tants?) which did not impact the running of the system.

You're lucky they didn't.  I have fixed three (out of three) dead
flat-screen displays by opening them up, noting that caps in the power
supply portion of the circuit have bulging tops, and replacing them.  I
am not in a position to comment either way on the "industrial espionage
gone wrong" theory except to note that what I've seen is entirely
consistent with it - though my observations are equally consistent with
some manufacturer just plain cutting corners and counting on (a)
devices failing after warranty expiration and either (b1) people not
noticing the caps failing wholesale or (b2) a business plan that
amounts to "take profit for a couple of years and then shut down before
the bad-reputation chickens come home to roost".

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org