[rescue] Seeking early Sun Pizzabox systems

mc68010 mc68010 at gmail.com
Fri May 10 01:33:05 CDT 2013

On 5/9/2013 11:02 PM, Oliver Cromwell wrote:
> Thanks.  It really seems like that is whats happening.  I was surprised to
> see the diskless 2/50 go for $400 (+150 shipping).  Since I am local I
> could have avoided the shipping charge.  Are they really that rare?
>
> I might have bid more had I known..  kind of thought a diskless system
> couldn't possibly be worth that much.  Guess I was proven wrong.  There
> were also some SunOS tapes that sold for over $120..  another example.
>
> I'd be interested in original SunOS tapes as well if anyone wants to part
> with them.  :)  I already have a lot of the tape image files that are on
> the various sites online.
>
> Oliver

The tape thing was silly. I saw that too. I think someone got carried
away. I think you would be more likely to find a set being given away
for free somewhere before you see one going for $120 again. They most
likely don't even work by now.

You can just make perfect copies of the boot tapes from files online.
You can't make a 2/50. Still all that stuff went for too much. If the
monitor worked and it came with a keyboard and mouse I'd say $400 to
$500 is fair for a 2/50. Maybe even slightly more.

Sun 2 keyboards are unobtanium now and always have been really. Even in
the 90's they were super hard to find.  I bet if you put up an auction
with a complete keyboard set and another with a 2/50 and monitor the
keyboard set would end up selling for much more.