[rescue] Looking for an IPX OT: picture of a SLC 4/20 or ELC ?

Kurt M. Nowak kurt.m.nowak at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 19:32:22 CST 2013

On 12/11/2013 8:41 PM, Mouse wrote:
>>> I really don't miss CRT screens.
>> I destroyed a long folding table once by placing a 21" SGI (Sony)
>> monitor in the middle of the table.  After a couple hours the monitor
>> had sunk about 4-6", warping the table permanently...
> I don't miss their weight, no.  I don't miss their power consumption.
> I don't miss their need for occasional degaussing.  I don't miss their
> implosion risk (they are designed to avoid flying glass outside the
> case if the tube does break, but it's not perfect).
>
> I miss their crispness (monochrome tubes, sans shadow mask,
> especially).  I miss their correct handling of different-duration front
> and back porches (I have a flatscreen and three peecees driving it via
> a KVM; I've been unable to set the flatscreen such that I can switch
> among the peecees and not have at least one of them lose at least one
> character column to horizontal misalignment).  I miss their ability to
> display disparate resolutions sanely - modern panel displays always
> make them look either ugly or very ugly, blurry too in some cases.  (A
> very few - I think I've seen three - are capable of being told to
> letterbox rather than magnify.  The most sensible way seems to me to
> magnify by the largest _integer_ factor that fits and then letterbox
> the rest of the way; I have yet to see any modern flatscreen do that.)
> I miss their willingness to handle over-resolution signals, as I
> mentioned upthread.  I miss their resync speed when the input signal
> experiences a sync phase glitch (CRTs are usually back in full
> operation within a couple of vertical retrace times; modern flatscreens
> seem to take at least half a second, usually more like one second).
> (The last few can be summarized as, I miss their robustness when faced
> with diverse signals.)  I miss their physical robustness (the face of a
> CRT monitor is generally substantially more robust than the face of a
> modern flatscreen - though, as I mentioned above, more dangerous when
> pushed beyond its limits).

My space is at a premium and I dont miss their SIZE!!! I love having 3
heads on my desk with room to spare for books, coffee and clutter...I
dont miss those boat achors one bit. ... IMHO, my 3 Dell 2007fp's blow
the my old Sun/Sony GDM20E20 out of the water when it comes to
crispness. Also I can use my old Apollos in addition to my Suns (BW and
color FBs) with my flatscreens...And the Dells automatically size the
picture for what hardware I am using. Versatility is important to
me...Just sayin...

-Kurt