[rescue] Mobo won't post with new (old) ram stick

Andrew Hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Wed Dec 19 14:49:01 CST 2012

On 12/19/12, microcode at zoho.com <microcode at zoho.com> wrote:

> The battery got me to the BIOS menu but swapping the ram back and forth
> between the two slots suggests there is one bad stick. The brands available
> locally are Kingston, Ceon, g.skill, and Patriot. Are any of these
> particularly good/bad?

I've had very good luck with Kingston, but I suspect there is little
difference between the consumer memory brands.

And, agreed with Phil on mixing and matching.  I try to match exact
part numbers as an insurance policy against weird problems, but in
practice mixing modules with the same specs works ok.

-Andy