[rescue] Mobo won't post with new (old) ram stick

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Dec 19 13:42:33 CST 2012

On 12/19/12 12:58, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
>> More to come after I get the battery.
>
> The battery got me to the BIOS menu but swapping the ram back and forth
> between the two slots suggests there is one bad stick. The brands available
> locally are Kingston, Ceon, g.skill, and Patriot. Are any of these
> particularly good/bad?

Ceon I have never heard of.  Kingston is reputable.  I have a
substantial quantity of both Patriot and G.Skill RAM in various of my
machines and have never had a problem with either one.  Both Patriot and
G.Skill generally get consistent five-egg feedback on NewEgg.

> Do I need to buy two new sticks (as in does the memory have to be from the
> same company and be the same product #) or can I just get one stick with
> similar specs to the one I have now that is working and expect it to work?
> The memory I have now was supposed to be very good but it is not carried
> locally any more, so it will be hard to find an identical piece.

Provided the architecture and speed/timing specs are exactly the same,
it should be interchangeable.  Mixing RAM modules with different
architecture or different timings is generally a bad idea.  So, by all
means mix and match, but for best results, be certain it's an EXACT match.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.