[rescue] SCSI-Ethernet on an 68040 Macintosh

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Jan 16 12:15:14 CST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:31:51AM -0600, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>I don't see the need for the second level of complexity.  If I can copy
>the images to the network-connected Mac, I can send them to other systems
>via something common over IP (smb, scp, or even ftp).  As a general rule,
>I run no Linux in this house.

Oh fun. Macs that talk to system 7 file sharing don't support smb (unless you
BUY a program called DAVE) and SCP and FTP are difficult to use except
for MACssh which provides an FTP server. As far as I remember it had some
problems with MacBinary files. The verison it supported and the version
everyone else did were incompatbile.

They also don't support AFP under TCP, so you really do need an AFP capable
file server.

Don't forget that system 7 relies heavily upon data forks, resource forks, file
type and creator codes, etc. Mess with them and you will have lots of
data you can look at with a file editor, or with less on a*NIX system, but
can do nothing with.

I guess you could dig out an old (9 or older) version of Solaris and get
the Netatalk kernel module to work.

Actually the best way, in my experience to transfer large amounts of files
from a Mac of that era is to make an iso image using toast. As long as you
don't mess with the data itself, it will keep all the necessary forks, fields
and bits set properly. You can then burn it on to a real CD, mount the
image under an emulator, or send it back onto an old Mac with enough
disk space and mount it with the aformentioned copy of toast.

If you really want to be perverse, NT SERVER 3.5 had a good AFP file
server. You could use that instead of netatalk. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.