[rescue] SCSI-Ethernet on an 68040 Macintosh

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jan 16 14:47:43 CST 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:31:51AM -0600, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>> I don't see the need for the second level of complexity.  If I can copy
>> the images to the network-connected Mac, I can send them to other systems
>> via something common over IP (smb, scp, or even ftp).  As a general rule,
>> I run no Linux in this house.
>
> Oh fun. Macs that talk to system 7 file sharing don't support smb (unless you
> BUY a program called DAVE) and SCP and FTP are difficult to use except
> for MACssh which provides an FTP server.

I don't need any of that on the System 7 box.  Once the data's on the
Power Macintosh (running Mac OS 9.1, which allegedly supports LocalTalk),
I can send the data to a more modern machine via scp, ftp, or AFP/IP like
I've done when recovering some other old Mac media.

> Don't forget that system 7 relies heavily upon data forks, resource
> forks, file type and creator codes, etc.

Correct, but once I image the disks, everything's in the data
fork--regardless of whether I write files to a local ProDOS volume with
Copy][Plus/Nib2File/Dsk2File or whether I send the data directly to the
Power Macintosh via ADTpro.  If anything, I'll be happy that AFP/IP strips
the resource fork into an AppleDouble file.

> Actually the best way, in my experience to transfer large amounts of files
> from a Mac of that era is to make an iso image using toast. As long as you
> don't mess with the data itself, it will keep all the necessary forks, fields
> and bits set properly. You can then burn it on to a real CD, mount the
> image under an emulator, or send it back onto an old Mac with enough disk
> space and mount it with the aformentioned copy of toast.

AFP over IP to a modern OS X system has always worked fine for me.  I've
preserved the data (usably) from several System 7 era machines' disks this
way.

--
Jonathan Patschke  |
Elgin, TX          |  Sent from your rooted trendy mobile device.