[rescue] Enterprise 3000/3500 and StorEdge A5000 rescue

Marty Scholes martyscholes at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 17:10:16 CST 2011

Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus <at> yahoo.com> writes:

> Hmm. I've had very little problem plugging
> random disks into these arrays. I slowly accumulated the 147's to replace the
> 9's that were in the arrays when I got them. Every (functional) drive I have
> found has worked just fine, although I've had one or two bad ones. In one
> case, I had a few Fujitsus that were shipped improperly, and some small
> inductors were crushed on the drive circuit boards. A couple of these faulted
> immediately like that, others ran for a few months before finally failing.
> Every other (non-damaged) drive just worked. The last one with a cracked
> inductor like that died a month ago, dropping the loop when it failed.
>
> Even
> a drive with an odd format (520byte/sector) will spin up, but just won't be
> recognized by the OS. A drive has to be seriously bad to fault out directly in
> the array and take out the loop.
>
> I'm leaning towards just a bad disk, myself.
> I've never seen a 300 gig FC drive before though. Is it a SATA drive with a FC
> bridge or something? I wonder if the drive is even dual ported - that's kind
> of a feature unique to true FC drives.

Many thanks for the reply.  Yes, it was a bad disk.  I can't seem to find a way
to disable one loop before I plug in a drive, so I risk both loops on a
quasi-production server when I plug in a random drive.

I have a second 300GB disk which is formatting from 520 bytes to 512 bytes as I
write this.  Yes, it is an honest FC disk, dual ported and all.

Thanks again for the help,
Marty