[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Jan 6 02:47:00 CST 2011

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 18:17:21 +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:12:15AM -0600, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
> > A quck search of Ebay shows lots of buy-it-now pci sata cards for
> > under $5. These cards use the VIA chipset. A quick search of the
> > linux forums show the via based cards work fine. A quck google
> > search shows that the via based cards also work under solaris-x86
>
> A useable search, e.g. on price plus postage yeilds a different story.
>
> If I expect to actually receive it, I need to pay at least $25 in postage.
>
> UPS, FEDEX or DHL will be at least $50, plus I would have to pay 17% tax
> on the total of the items, shipping, customs clearing fees, etc.

Like Geoff I found eSATA (especially the cables) difficult to get hold
of. Yes, one can order on the 'net - but Geoff is also right - the
costs quickly quadruple compared with what would be paid stateside.

Then I found something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/26edvp4

Basically a hard drive dock, but importantly it came with an eSATA
cable (and was really cheap!). It also does USB. Then all that is
required is a backplate that goes into the desktop case and plugs into
one of the internal SATA ports, and the OS sees the disk as another
internal drive. Of course leaving a pile of naked hard disks on your
desk can lead to all sorts of fun accidents involving coffee.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za