[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jan 5 07:56:00 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 08:07:01AM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>Personally, I tend to think one should probably try to avoid NFS-sharing
>USB devices in the first place.  But that said, kernel nfsd randomly
>crashing is quite sufficient reason on its own for me to avoid it.

They work fine as local disks, and shared via Samba, Netatalk (yes, I still
use it), and the user space NFS server, NFS. The problem is that the
user space NFS server provides a limited set of functions and features.

It's a cheap way of getting big disks.

>Oh, I dunno .... you think maybe I might like to be able to restrict
>what hosts can access them, or grant particular hosts norootsquash, or ... ?

Why would you want to do that? In some ways Linux is firmly stuck in 1995.

I think the reason is that NFS existed before Linux and there was plenty
of good UNIX documentation around that included how to set up and use NFS
servers.

Compare that to Samaba, which was not known and built from the ground
up by reverse engineering. If the developers had not spent as much time
documenting the protocol and the useage as they did, no one would of used it.
Fast forward 15 years, and everyone has Samba docs, and no one NFS. :-(

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.