[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 5 10:17:05 CST 2011

On 01/05/11 08:56, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> Compare that to Samba, which was not known and built from the ground
> up by reverse engineering. If the developers had not spent as much time
> documenting the protocol and the useage as they did, no one would of used it.
> Fast forward 15 years, and everyone has Samba docs, and no one NFS. :-(

To me, the really amusing thing about this is that some years back,
Microsoft discovered that every engineer who had worked on the SMB
protocol had left Microsoft, nobody could find any of the documentation,
and nobody still at MS understood how it actually worked any more.  So
they had to go to the Samba developers, who were quite happy to give
them a copy of their own reverse-engineered copy of the SMB specification.

Of course, I keep hearing all kinds of references to CIFS being sort of
SMB++, but I've yet to see any clear explanation of how CIFS differs
from SMB, let alone what's supposed to make it better.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.