[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jan 5 07:07:01 CST 2011

On 01/05/11 07:50, Peter Corlett wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 04:19:42AM +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> [...]
>> The kernel NFS server crashes and cause random disconnects of USB disks,
>> so in effect if you want to keep your data, you can not NFS share a USB
>> disk.
>
> Oddly enough, I had that exact same experience with Solaris, which is why I
> had to give up ZFS loveliness and went back to a Debian-based fileserver.

Personally, I tend to think one should probably try to avoid NFS-sharing
USB devices in the first place.  But that said, kernel nfsd randomly
crashing is quite sufficient reason on its own for me to avoid it.

Of course, there's also the point that the last time I looked at the
Linux knfsd, its configuration ability was limited to "You can give it a
list of shares to export.  Who needs more configuration than that?"

Oh, I dunno .... you think maybe I might like to be able to restrict
what hosts can access them, or grant particular hosts norootsquash, or ... ?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.