[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 4 11:32:12 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 10:48:01AM -0500, nate at portents.com wrote:

>I have some tentative admiration for Shuttleworth's plans - moving from
>X11 to Wayland and moving from GNOME to Unity.

I was just about to update my Ubuntu systems to 10.10. After reading this,
I'll be updating them to something else, probably Centos or Debian.

I've suffered long enough with as someone else on this list put it,
Ubuntu's "it sucks to be you" attitude when you have problems they don't
want to fix.

While it's nice to see Linux moving in a direction of no longer being just
another UNIX clone, I've had enough of Ubuntu's support problems in
general, and gnome and X windows problems in specific to suffer through
Wayland and Unity.

It's an interesting marketing move because until Wayland and Unity become
100% X and Gnome compatible, developers will have to choose between a version
that works on Ubuntu and a version that works on other Linux systems, or
both as separate "products".

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.