[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Tue Jan 4 09:48:01 CST 2011

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 08:17:25 -0500, John Ruschmeyer <jruschme at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 07:24 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 01/03/11 04:26, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> > Well. I am useing Unix for close to 20 years now. I saw Linux rising.
>> > It evolved from a Unix clone for Unix enthusiasts to a bad Windows
>> > surrogate for Windows haters.
>>
>> Yeah.  I still say Ubuntu is the Linux distribution for people who
would
>> secretly much rather be running Windows.
>
> I don't know... after the last couple of releases, I think it is
> becoming the Linux distribution for people who would secretly much
> rather be running Mac OS X.

Agreed with that.  With Ubuntu shifting a lot of core technologies in the
next year, it will be interesting to see if they continue on the path that
is closer to OS X or genuinely create something more original.  More on
these changes here:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/12/22/unity_ubuntu_the_future/

Red Hat also plans to adopt Wayland, which means it could gain some
serious traction.  Wayland doesn't seem like a bad idea - sideline X11 and
all it's cruft, have a new native Qt and GTK+, allow old apps to run in a
compatibility layer.  It will require new video drivers.

I have some tentative admiration for Shuttleworth's plans - moving from
X11 to Wayland and moving from GNOME to Unity.

- Nate