[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jan 4 11:42:18 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 07:32:12PM +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> I was just about to update my Ubuntu systems to 10.10. After reading this,
> I'll be updating them to something else, probably Centos or Debian.

That may only buy you time before making a wayland switch.

> It's an interesting marketing move because until Wayland and Unity become
> 100% X and Gnome compatible, developers will have to choose between a version
> that works on Ubuntu and a version that works on other Linux systems, or
> both as separate "products".

Shuttleworth is making the switch to Unity sooner, if he can, but
Wayland is a more distant goal that Fedora is also interested in, and
nobody is committing to a timeline to.

By the time they would be likely to make such a switch, the vast
majority of gnome applications would only require a recompile to support
wayland, and there will be X11 on top of wayland, and a way to remote
applications as well, possibly something based on VNC or RDP/RemoteApp,
possibly something new, certainly something more efficient (bandwidth
and latency wise) than X11.