[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Caleb Cupples cscupples at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 07:39:41 CST 2011

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM, John Ruschmeyer <jruschme at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 07:24 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 01/03/11 04:26, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> > Well. I am useing Unix for close to 20 years now. I saw Linux rising.
>> > It evolved from a Unix clone for Unix enthusiasts to a bad Windows
>> > surrogate for Windows haters.
>>
>> Yeah.  I still say Ubuntu is the Linux distribution for people who would
>> secretly much rather be running Windows.
>
> I don't know... after the last couple of releases, I think it is
> becoming the Linux distribution for people who would secretly much
> rather be running Mac OS X.

When I setup my first Ubuntu box, which is now running OpenIndiana, I
was actually looking for something that would allow me to continue
with my *nix geekery, and still be fairly easy to use for the newbie I
was, at the time. Without the initial experience and shiny factor
while using SuSE and Ubuntu (SuSE 9.1 and Ubuntu 5.04, to be
precise...), I wouldn't be a Unix geek now.  And, for the record, my
current array runs a mix of Debian Sid, Solaris 10u9, Solaris 11
Express, Mac OS X, OpenIndiana and Fedora Core 14.

Just because it's setup OOTB to be OS X for Mac haters doesn't mean
that Ubuntu is necessarily bad. It just means they need shiny to lure
them over to the land of proper shells and text editors. (bash and vi,
thank you.)

CSC
--
C. Scott Cupples