[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Jan 2 20:50:05 CST 2011

" From: pete <leaknoil at charter.net>
"
" On 1/2/2011 11:14 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
" > On 01/02/11 13:03, Dr Robert Pasken wrote:
" >> I'm curious about this. I was able to download a copy of Solaris 10u9 and
" >> OpenSolaris 11 from the Orale site without any problems even though I do
" >> not have a service contract. My account uses the email from my home AT&T
" >> ISP. Is there something magical going on.
" > You can download without a service contract, but you cannot get access
" > to ANY patches, AT ALL, unless you have one.  Oracle has apparently
" > managed to unlearn the lesson that even Microsoft finally learned - that
" > every *OS user is better of when even pirated copies of *OS are
" > security-patched.
"
"
" If you know the patch file name they are usually easy enough to find.
" They are archived in many places. However, you're getting them from 3rd
" parties so, security could be an issue. Probably isn't but, you never know.
"
" For example http://ftp.lanet.lv/ftp/sun-info/sun-patches/ which even has
" the full clusters.

just looked - nothing newer than 11/04.  better than oracle, but a
long way from up-to-date.