[rescue] Happy New Year! RIP, Sun/Solaris...

Mark Kahrs mark.kahrs at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 11:52:21 CST 2011

I'll add my voice to this thread: when I found out that Oracle was
mucking with the Sun support, this only added to my suspicion that
mebbe Solaris wasn't the way to go.

I installed OpenBSD on my T1 (as a web server) and I have to report
that it's far exceeded my expectations.  First, even though it's just
a measly 500 MHz machine, it flies.  Second, the installation
footprint is minimal and yet contains everything you need to get a
server up and running.

I'm now contemplating what to do about my v240 when I get some drives
for it.  My inclination is to go for NetBSD since I've read they
support SMP.  While I agree, the package stuff for NetBSD is not
nearly as nice as, say, apt-get, it can still get you where you want /
need to go.

"YMMV"