[rescue] Making an Ultra-60 quieter

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Mar 22 11:20:14 CDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 05:33:49PM +0200, Andrew Gaylard wrote:

> So far, I can only think of replacing the fans with thermally-
> controlled ones.  I'm assuming they're responsible for most
> of the noise.  The disk noise is audible, but less of a worry.

Quieter fans and quieter hard drives come to mind.  Both usually will
come with a spec for how loud they are.

> Any other clever/relatively inexpensive ideas?
>
> Since I work on the (X) console, putting the thing in another
> room isn't really a solution...

X doesn't prevent you from putting the machine in another room.  There
are several ways to do that, they just might not be cheap.

First, there are console extenders.  There are Sun specific ones, or you
could use a PS2 model with a Sun PS2 adapter, or perhaps you could even
use a USB unit.  I believe that someone previously posted that USB mouse
and keyboard will work in Sun's X11, even though they aren't supported
at the boot console.  None of those are terribly cheap options, but they
aren't unrealistic for a serious home office either.

The cheapest may be to use a SunRay.  There is a high likelyhood that
that would be fast enough, and they certainly are cheap on ebay.