[rescue] Making an Ultra-60 quieter

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Mar 22 15:06:09 CDT 2010

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 17:33:49 +0200
Andrew Gaylard <ag at computer.org> wrote:

> Since I work on the (X) console, putting the thing in another
> room isn't really a solution...
I do this all the time with all my machines. 10 m (30') extension
cables are no real problem. The Sun keyboard and mouse is just RS232
with TTL logic level at a low baud rate. You can use any cable that can
carry RS232 at 9600 bit/s. The video cable is a bit more critical. Once
I got a 15 m (45') 13W3 to BNC cable with Sun pinout from ebay for
cheap. To build one yourself is easy. Get a spool of RG59, some BNC
connectores, ... (Note: RG59, not RG58! Video cables are 75 Ohm.)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen