[rescue] Making an Ultra-60 quieter

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 19:00:57 CDT 2010

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/validateUser.do?target=Systems/U60/compo
> nents&source=
>
> that there's a "Voltage Regulated Fan Power Cable".  If that's all that's
> in the kit, then couldn't I just go get something similar from the nearest
> PC-shop-round-the-corner?  Or is there more to it?

If you are willing to fiddle around with the case, you might be able
to put a more modern, quieter 120mm fan in there, that has a manual
speed control, or buy a separate fan speed controller and put that
in-line on the existing fan.

I have manual controllers on my Core2Quad CPU cooler fans at home and
turn them down dramatically. The 120mm's run at far too high of a
speed by default as they are intended for over-clocking.  If I'm
cranking up Handbrake for video conversion, I'll turn the fan up to
compensate, but in that case, I'm walking out of the room anyway
because I batch up and run overnight.

=Nadine=