[rescue] Looking to rescue a PC

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Mon Feb 15 19:05:12 CST 2010

At 03:54 PM 2/15/2010, Jonathan Patschke wrote:

>I'll second that; the 745 is a decent machine, and you can toss in a Core
>2 Quad CPU, if you're careful about selecting one with the right FSB speed
>and power requirements.  You get a reasonable array of PCIe slots if the
>onboard graphics don't do it for you, and storage isn't blazing, but it's
>perfectly reasonable.

I don't game; just need enough 2d graphic capability to run my
favorite editor, Opera, and hopefully Visual C++ Express (the real
reason I need XP vs. win2k).  SATA would be good, but only because
it's not worth buying large PATA drives these days.  My biggest
interactive performance hog is probably LaTeX (a lot of my embedded
projects end up building multiple LaTeX documents along the way), so
I'm guessing any low-end CPU+disk will suffice for the time being.

thanks!
newell  N5TNL