[rescue] Rescue Cutoff

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Nov 15 11:50:57 CST 2009

Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 15 Nov 2009, at 00:54, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Define "pretty cheap".  I bought two 80GB SATA disks and a PCI SATA
>> controller a few months back, for about the cost of buying the
>> smallest
>> non-refurbished replacement SCSI disk I could find.  (I will not buy
>> refurbed disks.  They've already failed *at least* once.)
>
> Scan are banging out new 73GB 10kRPM drives for #40:
>
> http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/73-Gb-Fujitsu-MAW3073NP-Enterprise-68pin-Ultra320-SCSI-10000-rpm-8MB-Cache-4-ms

I've not seen anything close to that price this side of the Atlantic.  I
have to wonder:  With a 12-month warranty *from the seller*, NOT from
Hitachi, how certain are you that those aren't remanufactured drives?

>> Of course, subsequently I discovered that no power on earth will
>> induce
>> the machine I bought them for to boot off the PCI SATA controller....
>
> That's a known problem with sticking cheap PC cards into non-PC
> systems. That's why I'm jealously guarding the SCSI controller with
> PPC firmware that my old PowerMac will boot off.

The machine in question is a PC, built on an ASUS A7V333 board.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.