[rescue] Rescue Cutoff

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Sun Nov 15 05:22:45 CST 2009

On 15 Nov 2009, at 00:54, Phil Stracchino wrote:
[...]
> Define "pretty cheap".  I bought two 80GB SATA disks and a PCI SATA
> controller a few months back, for about the cost of buying the
> smallest
> non-refurbished replacement SCSI disk I could find.  (I will not buy
> refurbed disks.  They've already failed *at least* once.)

Scan are banging out new 73GB 10kRPM drives for #40:

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/73-Gb-Fujitsu-MAW3073NP-Enterprise-68pin-Ultra
320-SCSI-10000-rpm-8MB-Cache-4-ms

> Of course, subsequently I discovered that no power on earth will
> induce
> the machine I bought them for to boot off the PCI SATA controller....

That's a known problem with sticking cheap PC cards into non-PC
systems. That's why I'm jealously guarding the SCSI controller with
PPC firmware that my old PowerMac will boot off.

(I wonder what would happen if I stuck that card into a PC. Presumably
I couldn't boot off it but Linux would be happy with it afterwards.)