[rescue] RDI laptop questions (Sparcbook (Ultrabook, Precisionbook)

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Wed May 20 16:02:17 CDT 2009

>   The LCD is functional in OBP mode, so if you don't get that, you're
> missing something pretty big.  It sounds like you don't have posession
> of the machine, else I'd suggest trying the serial ports.

Right. Was trying to figure out if it's worth it or not. Also, it's an
Ultrabook 170, not a SparcBook (which I think are different).

Years ago Herman Miller liquidated Sparcbooks, but I was too late.

>   I have noticed that the Tadpole screens do not like hot weather;
> mine blew one screen (vertical coloured lines 1/3 pixel in width)
> on a hot day and it never recovered.

Yow.

>   SPARCbooks are very nice, albeit with a limited amount of
> screen "real estate".

Perfect!

I'll be watching for them on the feebay and craigslists.

--
: FLICKR   http://www.flickr.com/photos/ethanotoole :