[rescue] RDI laptop questions (Sparcbook (Ultrabook, Precisionbook)

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Wed May 20 15:57:30 CDT 2009

    On Wed, 20 May 2009, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> On the RDI Tadpole Ultrabook things, does the main LCD only go active once
> the video drivers are loaded in Solaris? Or does it have a textport / text
> console, and that machine is broken?

    The LCD is functional in OBP mode, so if you don't get that, you're
missing something pretty big.  It sounds like you don't have posession
of the machine, else I'd suggest trying the serial ports.

    I have noticed that the Tadpole screens do not like hot weather;
mine blew one screen (vertical coloured lines 1/3 pixel in width)
on a hot day and it never recovered.

> I've never used any of the three :-)

    SPARCbooks are very nice, albeit with a limited amount of
screen "real estate".