[rescue] SCSI CD-ROM changer tower

Nate nate at portents.com
Sat May 9 12:00:01 CDT 2009

Hi,

Years ago I bought a used CD-ROM changer tower from ebay for a
project, and never used it.  There are seven SCSI-2 Nakamichi MJ-4.8S
(8x CD-ROM) drives in the tower, and each drive is a slot-loading
changer that can hold four discs (so 28 discs online total).  The
connectors on the back are centronics 50-pin SCSI.  I tested it for
power up and basic operation, and discovered that the bearings in the
80mm power supply fan were noisy, so I replaced the power supply fan
with a new Panasonic Panaflo.

If you didn't want to use it as a CD-ROM changer tower, you could
always take the drives out and use them individually (and/or re-
purpose the case).  I'd like to get something for it, but if I don't
get any offers I'd let it go for free, and I'd greatly prefer pick up
(02144) as it's a little heavy (steel case).

- Nate