[rescue] SCSI CD-ROM changer tower

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat May 9 12:37:33 CDT 2009

Nate wrote:
> Years ago I bought a used CD-ROM changer tower from ebay for a
> project, and never used it.  There are seven SCSI-2 Nakamichi MJ-4.8S
> (8x CD-ROM) drives in the tower, and each drive is a slot-loading
> changer that can hold four discs (so 28 discs online total).  The
> connectors on the back are centronics 50-pin SCSI.  I tested it for
> power up and basic operation, and discovered that the bearings in the
> 80mm power supply fan were noisy, so I replaced the power supply fan
> with a new Panasonic Panaflo.
>
> If you didn't want to use it as a CD-ROM changer tower, you could
> always take the drives out and use them individually (and/or re-
> purpose the case).  I'd like to get something for it, but if I don't
> get any offers I'd let it go for free, and I'd greatly prefer pick up
> (02144) as it's a little heavy (steel case).

I'd be tempted to grab that to re-use the drives, but I suspect
correctly operating a CD changer drive would confuse hell out of my
kids.  We used a 7-disc network CD changer at one former employer, and
my recollection is it was constantly shuffling discs around and took
almost a minute to switch discs.  Nothing thrashes like a CD changer
that Windows is trying to access two different CDs from.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.