[rescue] Free crossover changes.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Oct 28 15:15:45 CDT 2008

The procedure to download the free Crossover program ( a commercial
version of WINE for MacOS or Linux) has been changed. It looks like
if you already requested a serial number you have to do it again.

If you downloaded the files they asked you to download, these have been
changed to and you need to download new ones.

Note the NEW URL:

	http://down.codeweavers.com/

If you haven't downloaded anything or requested it a serial number you
can still do so (until 23:59 US Central time tonight).

The story behind it is that the CEO of the company said that if the US
"lame duck" President did any of several things before leaving office,
he would give away his product for a day.

One of them was to bring down the price of oil to under $100 a barrel.

If you have an Intel Mac,or an X86 Linux system, I suggest you download
the product and request a key. I'm sure they would prefer that you did
not unless you really want it, but if you think you may need it, here's
a chance to get it for free.

They are being really good sports about this, not only are they giving
away the full commercial version (one per customer), they are giving you
support for one year.

To be honest, I'm not sure that the one key per customer meant one
Mac key OR one Linux key, or one of each. Since the keys are different,
you would need two to run Crossover if you ran Linux and MacOS on the
same computer.

I requested both. Also due to a web browser/server overload glitch I
ended up with two of the original keys needed to request a serial
number. I assume the original keys are now useless.

The original page never spelled that out, and the new page does not
mention the one per customer thing at all.

Geoff.