[rescue] xD cards vs. Compact Flash

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Oct 21 15:50:46 CDT 2008

William Enestvedt wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>
>> What kind of CF cards are they?  You might want to consider some of
>>
> the
>
>> faster ones.  I know it made a noticeable difference to me...
>>

>    Hunh. Good question! This one is a 256 MB SanDisk unit, though I
> can't tell much about it.
>
>    Are those "NOW 111 TIMES FASTER" cards -- well, faster? Or is the
> camera going to be the limiter?

Yes, they are faster, I don't know if the camera will be the limiting
factor or not.  Figure that in the recovery time between each shot, the
camera needs to compress the image and write it to flash.  Also, as
mentioned in another post, the speed of the controller can easily be a
limiting factor.  So, if writing the image to flash is a big part of
your recovery time, and the controller in the camera is faster than the
flash you are using, yes, a faster flash card will improve the camera's
recovery time.  I think the only way you will find out is to try a
faster card. :)

    -Dan Sikorski