[rescue] xD cards vs. Compact Flash

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Oct 22 08:04:17 CDT 2008

Nate & Dan make good points about the performance of the storage.

   There's a "CF/xD" switch on the camera body, so I could test
performance of the two kinds of media just by taking the same pictures
twice while toggling that storage selector switch. Fortunately, a search
of the web shows that a couple of guys already did so far more
rigoriously than I ever would or could:
     http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5050-card.html
   Looks like Compact Flash should beat most xD cards, unless I get one
of the old duds.

   Nate wrote, "If you only have a PIO controller in your camera, then a
high speed DMA CF card won't be fully utilized." Well, I couldn't find
out whether or not this was true, but I figure that a nice, new,
high-speed CF card should be as good as or faster than anything tested,
above. So off I go to shop!

   Thank you, gentlemen, for your suggestions.

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt