[rescue] xD cards vs. Compact Flash

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Oct 21 15:29:17 CDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:11:52PM -0400, William Enestvedt wrote:
> Does anyone have cast-off xD Picture Cards or a favorite place to buy
> them?
>
>    I have a digital camera that's pretty ancient by current standards,
> an Olympus C-5050 Zoom from 2002. ("How old is it?" It's so old that
> they couldn't decide which format would win so it takes both Compact
> Flash *and* xD cards!) Now, I have been using CF cards since that's what
> I happened to have around when I was given the camera this year, but
> they seem to take a long time to write out the image. Are CF cards
> really slower than xD? Or should I just keep using the CF cards I've
> got?

In general, CF cards are faster than xD cards.  However, if you are
comparing an old enough CF card aagainst a new enoough xD card, that
could change, maybe.  Also, the camera could have a slow CF
controller.

I have a 2005 camera that takes xD, this one a fujitsu.  The xD card is
a lot slower than flash in my desktop USB2.0 reader.