[rescue] Help mounting G2 DL380 systems

Devin Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Sat May 31 19:55:50 CDT 2008

Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Devin Ganger <devin at thecabal.org> wrote:

>> Okay, this isn't Sun-related, but enough of you here have worked with
these
>> older systems I figured it was worth a shot.

> The rails for the DL580 are specific to that unit (and maybe some
> other HP boxen.) The tracks for the server simply SNAP into place on
> the server and then should easily glide into the rails in your rack.

Right; that's what I was trying to describe.

Measuring across a DL380, there's about 17" or so from edge to edge at the
widest point. The tracks snap on to posts on the lower section of the sides,
which is recessed by about .5" or so -- so even with the tracks snapped in
place, they don't extend beyond 17". The part of the rails that mount in the
rack don't come out far enough to make up that entire difference.

Bad ASCII art:

A = where the tracks snap on the server
B = where the rails bolt into the rack

Is this gap simply a case of having the wrong rail kit?

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Devin on Earth: http://blogs.thecabal.org/blogs/devin/