[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue May 13 12:03:58 CDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 11:45 , Robert Darlington wrote:

> One of the classic questions I put out for interviewees is "Do you
> work on your own car?"

Hopefully you are joking, since a lot of tinkerers don't work on their
own car.

Not everyone tinkers on the same things.

Plus, when my car is under warranty, tinkering voids the warranty.

:)

> I personally can't imagine going for a CS degree.  It's incredibly
> boring, not very challenging (unless you count all the crap homework
> assignments),

That depends highly on the school you go to.

> and I really don't see much change in the field since
> Knuth laid the groundwork in his books in the 60s.  In other words,
> it's not for me.  (I'm going for EE currently, specializing in antenna
> design, fields and waves, and signal propagation -most likely boring
> to most!)

EE is one of the easiest degrees to get in some schools.

It depends heavily on where you go to school, and what use you make of
the facilities of course.

I took some EE courses in college, and found them easier than most of
my computer science classes because the engineering work was a lot
more pragmatic and the theory was far easier.

I actually like the "computer engineering" degree some schools offer,
but it was too late for me to switch by the time it came around to my
school.

If I got back to school (meaning, if I ever get the money) I'm not
totally sure what I'd go after.  I'm just as likely to go for an
engineering degree or something as continue in computer science.

A lot depends on what they can offer me.

Of course, with $11-50 thousand dollars masters degree programs, I
don't know when I'll ever have the money, and going for a 4 year
engineering degree is pretty much impossible right now.