[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Thu May 8 10:45:20 CDT 2008

One of the classic questions I put out for interviewees is "Do you
work on your own car?"  Tinkering and the inclination to tinker is a
major part of what makes a good sysadmin (or a good just about
anything else).  Sure, a degree proves you can stick it out and do the
work required for school, and proving you can work hard is important.
I recognize that being able to work hard doesn't necessarily have to
be proven in the form of a degree through.

For the record, I know a handfull of CS degree holders that are good
admins.  Getting the degree didn't gift them with the mindset required
for the job -it was just a natural extension of what they liked to do.
 I personally can't imagine going for a CS degree.  It's incredibly
boring, not very challenging (unless you count all the crap homework
assignments), and I really don't see much change in the field since
Knuth laid the groundwork in his books in the 60s.  In other words,
it's not for me.  (I'm going for EE currently, specializing in antenna
design, fields and waves, and signal propagation -most likely boring
to most!)

I also know a lot of slackers that are great sysadmins until it comes
time to do real work or work on something other than Linux or Windows.
These are the kind I don't hire.