[rescue] Small servers (was Re: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100)

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Thu May 8 10:29:43 CDT 2008

J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
> I couldn't possibly disagree more.  Sure, some folks with CS degrees
> are good admins, and some lacking degrees aren't.  But the degree,
> itself, is neither here nor there.  What is required to make a good
> admin is the right mindset.  I have found that people are either
> logically and systematically thinking, or they are not, and no amount
> of instruction can change from one to the other.  Another thing that
> is required to be a good admin is someone who is dedicated enough to
> spend the time that the job requires.  Not only the maintenance
> windows, on-call, etc., but also the time at home spent keeping up
> with the technology and the current best thought, in the field.  9-5
> SA's are useless, IMO.

I've been called to interview people in the past.  I've found that many
computer science graduates from schools with good reputations and high
GPAs tend not to be useful for anything.  The people who have computer
science degrees and do good work tend to be those who *didn't* get good
grades, because they were too busy tinkering in the lab.

The tinkerer's attitude seems to be common among those who end up being
good workers, even if they don't have a degree or if they have a degree
in some unrelated subject.

Peace...  Sridhar