[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed May 7 14:04:47 CDT 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008 13:33:55 -0400
Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:

> > No ZFS in NetBSD yet. And I will not hold my breath waiting for it.
> There are licensing problems, aren't there?  Or is it just dead in the
> water?
Worst case would be that ZFS is only available as LKM to keep CDDL code
out of the kernel source tree.

> I knew it wasn't in NetBSD, but I thought it was most of the way there
> from the GSoC project.
AFAIK FreeBSD got quite a bit further with the ZFS integration.

> > On the other side: The soon to be branched 5.0 will have good, old,
> > rock solid FFS with shining new jornaling support...
> That might help.  I'll be watching what people say, but I doubt that
> it will cause me to consider switching from Solaris for a file server.
> Especially as long as there continue to be SMP issues on SPARC64
> (although I keep seeing encouraging progress).
Sure. If you have sparc64 hardware, you are used to Solaris and you are
already running Solaris, why switch to an other OS if there is no
immediate need? Never change a runing system! :-)
Especially as sparc64 hardware is designed to run Solaris and Solaris
is designed to run on sparc64 hardware.
--

tsch__,
       Jochen