[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Mike Loewen mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Mon May 5 14:55:21 CDT 2008

On Mon, 5 May 2008, William Enestvedt wrote:

>   A funny thng about "home servers" is that we want server-grade gear
> but as quiet as a home office PC -- or at least my wife does, :7)
>
>   There's a few V100s or Ultra 10s around here, but I'm reluctant to
> even scrounge one of those b/c she would ask why I was running something
> 24/7...And she's be right. Perhaps I will try an Ultra 10 and just boot
> it up manually when I want data off it, and pray that it never died in
> its sleep. :7) Or *forehead slap* maybe this PC would be fine with a BSD
> on it if I only ran it when I needed it -- and in that case, I may even
> find a use for the old Happauge TV card!

    I'm running a aged Dell Precision Workstation 530, which is perfectly
happy as a home server.  Dual Xeon 2.4GHz running Linux, and amazingly
quiet.  It runs 24/7, and runs the phones (Asterisk), the firewall, and a
PVR with MythTV, plus shared filespace (NFS, Samba and Netatalk) for
systems around the house.  The fan on my Fore ES-2810 switch makes more
noise than the server.  Backups go to a Powervault 120T with a DLT-7000
inside.

Mike Loewen				mloewen at cpumagic.scol.pa.us
Old Technology	http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/