[rescue] FW: WTT: 1.5G of PC2700 for 1G of PC100

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed May 7 20:43:08 CDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 12:41 , William Enestvedt wrote:

> So, getting back to the original question....Shannon, you pick
> anything
> yet to use as a small server? I'm interested in this question, too.

Not yet, but I'm looking at the Alix stuff and other things.

I have even thought of another PC server with a smaller case than the
"big" Dell T105, but was hoping to find something *REALLY* small if
possible, and use a notebook drive for storage.

The problem with some of the small stuff is the CPUs are a little
wimpy, and while DNS does not care, squid does, and there is even a
possibility I'll put email on it.

It would be nice if the Solaris machine (the T105) was more free for
being shut down for maintenance and software changes.

Plus, admittedly, I think tiny servers are really cool.

I've always wondered why someone doesn't make a case that fits around
hardware, insteads of the mostly empty boxes we typically get.

There is no reason that something the size of a Shuttle could not have
a full RAID bay in it, for example.

I wish that whole job thing was not getting in the way of my research
on this project... :)

When I come up with something I'll take pictures and documented it and
all that good stuff.  Just taking my time since I can do without this
one for now.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com