[rescue] Deciding how to place machines in a rack...

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Mon Mar 3 14:23:50 CST 2008

True enough about gunk from the floor.

   We have a raised floor with the air coming up from perforated tiles,
but we get dust from there, too. *shrug* One time I saw mop marks on the
tile floor, but I think I'd rather have the dust bunnies than periodic
wet-mopping!

   Some of our racks have a fan unit in the lowest RU that pulls in air
from the plenum and blows it up across the face of the racked sysytems.
In theory this gets more, colder air to the servers higher up, but it
also cranks out BTUs and eats power, so who knows?

   Anyway, those big, heavy servers prolly have redundant, hot-swap
parts, and so can tolerate a few failures better than the little pizza
boxes up near the top of the rack. Right? :7(

- Will
--
Will Enestvedt
UIS Database Team Lead & Unix System Administrator