[rescue] Deciding how to place machines in a rack...

stephen price sd_price at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 17:14:41 CST 2008

What kind of space is the rack going into?  Is it a
garage, an air conditioned room etc?

I've had multiple racks in a bedroom of a central a/c
house with an extra window a/c unit to keep the room
temperature cool enough.  Usually took the back door
off of the rack for heat & cable management.  Front
plexiglass door closed like you want.  All racks had
top mounted fans at least.

On the hotter racks - I put a  floor fan pointing
upwards on the back side of the rack to further
disapate heat.

Maybe not technically correct - but the servers always
remained happy.

The racks were full of multiple sun boxes like you
describe, plus windows boxes, dec alpha 1200 servers,
disk shelves , blackbox kvm etc.

regards
steve