[rescue] Cheap, fast, PC server

Angel Martin Alganza ama at ugr.es
Sun Jan 27 05:16:18 CST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 11:55:39PM -0500, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> My big question in all this is why are people using VMs so much?

What about live migration of VMs across different real servers?  Great
for upgrades with almost zero downtime.  And, of course, the ability
to run different operating systems (if that's at all needed) on the
same hardware at the same time.

> I can understand using them for some applications where you need to
> give someone a machine, and a virtual one will do.

And also when two instances of the same program cannot be run on the
same server (database servers, for instance).

> But for just splitting things up for management or security, it seems
> to me that things like Solaris zones and FreeBSD jails is a lot more
> efficient.
> It's also probably a lot faster.

I've also though about that and, since I have almost no experience
with jails I really would like to hear from other people's experiences
and thoughts about the use of VMs (mainly Xen) versus jails.

Angel

--
Angel Martin Alganza               Tel +34 958 248 926
Departamento de Genetica           Fax +34 958 244 073
Universidad de Granada               mailto:ama at ugr.es
C/ Fuentenueva s/n             http://www.ugr.es/~ama/
E-18071 Granada, Spain     JabberID alganza at jabber.org
  PGP Public key: http://www.ugr.es/~ama/ama-pgp-key
  3EB2 967A 9404 6585 7086  8811 2CEC 2F81 9341 E591